Ice bar in Vegas 2012

Ice bar in Vegas 2012

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Brooke's Walk of Hope & Arlene's passing

First off, I told a friend I would do this on Monday but it's been a hard week so first let me say I'm sorry it's taken me until today to do this.

My #75strong friend Brooke is the co-leader of this year's Walk of Hope put on by Resolve to help raise awareness for infertility and raise funds.  I know my blog following is small, but on the off chance anyone of you reading is near the AZ area here is information on this free event.  Learn more HERE!!  The walk is only a few weeks away on March 22nd.  I'm so proud of Brooke's involvement not only with this event, but her peer-lead resolve group meetings, going to DC for Advocacy Day, and so much more.



As for my hard week...
My friend Arlene passed away Sunday night/Monday morning after her four year battle with cancer.  We'd heard on Saturday that she wasn't expected to make it through the week, but it still hit like a ton of bricks.  Nothing can really prepare you for a beautiful 44 year old woman leaving this world too soon.

I met Arlene seven years ago as she was on Jeff's bowling team.  To someone meeting her for the first time she could be a bit intimidating (which is what some people say of me).  But this chick was a badass truck driver for goodness sake!  But without hesitation, she welcomed me into the group and confided in me that no one ever liked Jeff's previous long term relationship but they could tell almost instantly that I was truly his other half; the female version of Jeff.  I will be forever grateful that she made me her friend and not just "Jeff's girlfriend" from the start.  Because of this I got to know a wonderful, funny, strong, independent group of women that called themselves the Ya-Yas.  In their friendship I got an outside view of what the "blonde squad" (My group of close friends) must look like to others.  Sure they have their inside jokes and stories they love to retell - but more than anything you saw the love these friends had for each other.  And I was invited to go on their girls weekend fishing vacations (although could not afford it with our treatments).   Her smile was infectious.  Her jokes were hilarious.  Her love of the Cubs was...well something to be made fun of in only the way good friends that are cross town rivals can do.  I've gotten to know her kids, grandchild, and mother.  I don't know anyone else whom I'm not related to, that I can say I know four generations of their family.  And while I'm sad that we had not seen each other much the last two years since that bowling league disintegrated and as her battle with cancer got harder - I am thankful for ever laugh we shared together and that I got to know such an amazing person and call her my friend.  This past September, even frail as she was she insisted on having a backyard BBQ and everyone just sat around telling stories and laughing.  I can still see her there.  Sitting on a cooler, beer in her hand, Cubs shirt on, broad smile across her face.

Her wake is this afternoon and her funeral is tomorrow.  Her family has asked for the wake, that people wear their Cubs gear (formal attire for the funeral).  Jeff asked "What should we do?"  I laughed, because I know Arlene and her entire family will know and understand as Sox fans we do not own anything Cubs.  But to show our love, we have found shirts in true "Cubbie Blue" color.  While many tears will be shed, I know in true Arlene fashion - there will still be stories.  So many stories!  And laughs through the tears.
Me with a few of the Ya Yas.  (Me, Cher, Jackie, Dottie & Arlene)

4 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so, so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry to hear about your friend passing

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry for your loss. Sounds like you have some great memories with her that you can hold on to. <3

    ReplyDelete