Ice bar in Vegas 2012

Ice bar in Vegas 2012

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Interesting talk re: literature with my brother

Let me start this by saying my brother is a high school english teacher.  He has a master's in English Lit, specializing in what I don't remember...but I remember he's taken a whole class on Herman Melville for goodness sake!  **You may now proceed to laugh that someone that has as bad of spelling & grammer as myself could have an english teacher with my genes.  Needless to say, he got those good genes and like Danny Devito in TWINS, I got the "left over crap" in that department. 

Last week he posted the following on Facebook:  "All vampire stories are about sex, and escapist romance literature is for people who are unhappy with their sex lives. Twilight novels are romance novels for girls who are afraid of reading about actual sex, and their moms who are either unhappy with their own sex lives, or are enthusiastic that the girl doesn't get "bitten" until she's married. 

To which my aunt replied "hey I read Twilight".  And then my SIL (His WIFE) said she too has read them. **Ha ha Bro!  Now you are in trouble!!!***
So I decided to get a quick laugh so I commented:  "I have never read the books, nor seen the movies.  My suspicions confirmed.  My sex life = awesome!  Love, your little sister"
My dad then commented:  "Kathryn Diane, go to your room!" - Oh good, the whole family is getting in on this fun!

The conversation continued when we were all together for Thanksgiving.  And I find it interesting that he holds to his belief that it's for those that are sexually repressed.  His wife is the daughter of a former nun and is very strictly catholic.  ie no sex before marriage.  And also, can't seem to bring herself to say the word penis out loud. (This in it's self is hilarious to me.  A grown woman!)  So he said, he's not saying they have a bad sex life but he did hold to his opinion that it's for sexually disappointed or repressed women.  He gave Ann Rice's novels some of the same critique. 

I explained that people's choice in books is escapism into something they find interesting.  Example:  I lean mainly toward historical fiction.  And one of my favorites is the Outlander series.  Some feel there is a lot of sex in the book.  But I read other historical fiction that don't.  I read the books for the genre, not the sex scenes!  (BTW, my SIL has read the first book and felt it was "too much" and she was "blushing throughout the book!") 
I believe people who are into more fantasy type books (Angels, Witches, Harry Potter, etc) read them for the fantasy - just as I read for the history.  And not the sex.  He didn't buy this theory. 
And yes, I understand people read more than just one genre...for example I also lean towards criminal thrillers because I would have loved to be a detective or criminal psychologist.  And I don't think people who read fantasy don't read other types of books.  BUT, I don't think a sexually disappointed or repressed person would read Twilight for the sex.  Wouldn't they just read romance novels pure and simple if that's what they were looking for?!?!?  My brother said those are too "upfront" with it...this is a unconscious way of getting what they want. 
Since I have never read the books (and have no desire to honestly) I'm curious...did you read it because you heard it was good? Because of the love story? Because of the fantasy aspect? Or are you sexually repressed or disappointed? LOL, like anyone would admit to that!

1 comment:

  1. I read them! The only reason I did was because everyone was talking about how great the books were. I started reading them after the first movie came out. My motivation for reading the books had nothing to do with SEX at all.
    I am a follower when it comes to books. If people recommend a book I will most likely start reading it. I will not suffer through a book with weak characters or a crappy storyline, but I will almost always read the "free nook preview" before purchasing a recommended book.

    ReplyDelete