Just my ramblings on life. Now mainly travel but old posts are mainly Infertility related.
Ice bar in Vegas 2012
Thursday, February 2, 2012
Susan G Komen is off their rocker
So I was reading this article about how Susan G. Komen foundation is stopping its donations to Planned Parenthood (even though I had heard about it on facebook yesterday afternoon, and seen a story on last night's Nightly News on NBC) and it made me even more angry then I was before. The closing quote from someone supporting the move saying something about how Planned Parenthood was thought of as "trendy". WTF? Why do people think of PP as the "abortion" place and then this woman comes in calling it "trendy"? There has only been one year of my entire life where I did not have health insurance (From the time I left Milwaukee and got married to Jeff and thus was added to his insurance). It was a scary time to think if anything happened, I would not be able to afford care. I did take the step to go to PP for birth control. I was so happy that the ability to get my annual pap and script for pills was available and affordable. But trendy? I felt so embarrassed to be walking in there! It's like you're saying to others in the strip mall "Hi people, I have no health insurance ...I'm poor." Or, and knowing some people's views on abortion I felt they might be looking at me thinking "baby killer!" Of course, with our IF now...it turns out I didn't need the birth control pills at all, but still...the piece of mind they gave me was important. And so is giving women who are in situations like I was, when you find yourself without health insurance, the ability to get mammograms! How can a foundation devoted to helping cure breast cancer deny poor women - the one's who are most likely to ignore a lump if they can't get treatment- the much needed screening? I hope all this negative attention gets SGK to change their ways. Until then, I support people who will donate to the American Cancer society (you can even designate the money to breast cancer research) as apposed to the SGKF. I am not writing a pro choice blog (yet), I am simply writing a post that is standing up for those that can't afford a simple preventive measure.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment