So I've gotten mad twice in the past 24 hours after a recent weight loss fad...the HCG diet. There are claims that you can lose 20-40lbs in just a few weeks on it.
For those of you have not heard of it... there is a fad diet that asks you to eat only 500 calories a day and put drops of HCG hormone under your tongue (Or for more intense folks - take it in injection shots form). First; let me say anyone who's ever read anything on a healthy diet knows that less than 1,000 calories a day is starvation. And well duh, if you go from eating 1,800 calories to 500 - yes, you'll lose weight at first. FROM STARVATION! I Don't know what these idiots are thinking. And why they would risk their bodily organs starting to shut down because of a fad?!? Morons. Medical studies have shown that it's harmful and that most put the weight back on after stopping the diet. (If you're curious just google "Dangers" or "risks" with the diet. Plenty pops up.
Now let's look at the HCG hormone part....um, WHAT?!!! It's the hormone naturally released when you are pregnant. (**It's the hormone that turns that home pregnancy test positive**) It's also used by us infertile folks as a way to force ovulation. In past posts, you will have heard me refer to it as the "trigger shot". This shot costs me $90, and people are buying it to lose weight? Supply and demand people! Your using it to get rid of your love handles? This raises the cost for those of us that need it for a MEDICAL CONDITION not those too lazy to get off the couch and looking for a quick fix to being a chubs. I mean, look...I need to lose some weight...but I'm honest with myself that I don't need some hormone - I need to eat healthier and work out. And *gasp* I've lost 8lbs in the last four weeks doing just that. That is a HEALTHY amount to lose, 2lbs a week.
Now yesterday, I got mad at a friend because there was a facebook post from her about doing this fad diet. Thankfully it turned out to be a virus that is going on around FB. But I learned that after I wrote a reply similar to the rant above.
And now, just today while reading a guilty pleasure (the blog "Hot Mess Mom") I saw a comment from one of her readers that mentioned she was on "phase II" of this idiotic fad in responce to a post from HMM about her weight loss progress (*At a facility & with a program that is monitored by health experts ala weight watchers). Que anger all over again.
Being infertile this pisses me off more than if it was a fad four years ago before all this started but I can guarantee you one thing. At that point I still would have thought it was STUPID! I had a roommate in college (not Kim that you've heard me talk about as one of my dear friends) who used to use laxative often as a weight loss form, and I mean a dangerous amount. And I thought the same thing...get off your fat ass and get on a damn treadmill. Or maybe trade that fast food burger for a salad once in a while.
Believe me, I am not some skinny chic with great genes saying this. I am a size 14. I am a bacon addict. I love a good jaunt through a fast food drive through. I prefer hanging on the couch surfing the web and yelling at the TV with Jeff to pretty much any physical activity. But that's my choice, and I know it's a choice that comes with the consequence of the size of my butt. Don't like the size of your butt? Do something about it! And I mean actual work, not taking this stupid-ass pregnancy hormone fad diet. And thus ends the rant.
No comments:
Post a Comment