I have a confession. I am a total nut about getting shit done when it comes to cleaning or every day tasks/errands. I remember my friend Barb (before she had kids - because now I'm sure it's even harder for her) telling me "How can you get that all done?" once when I listed off all I had accomplished in like a two day stretch.
BUT, when it comes to being healthy...I am so totally the definition of a lazy American. I can find time to get the house clean, pay bills, run errands, get birthday presents, etc yet I can never "find the time" to work out. BULLSHIT! In the last 10 days, I read two books = 1600 pages and watched HOURS of TV a day. Clearly I have down time. So what is it? Pure laziness and lack of interest. The only workout I've even enjoyed in my life- I mean truly *wanted* to do it is swimming. And here- the only places with lap pools are the one's that cost over $100 a month. So instead I'm stuck with a stairmaster that's down stairs collecting dust. Or I could get my bike fixed and hit the road. Or I could do aerobic videos I find online. Yet I don't. Because they don't interest me. BOOM - LAZY!
Here is where I come across gross. I have a weird love affair with fast food. Like I hear about people talking down about McDonald's as adults, that it's more a teen age, kid, or slob's food. And I tilt my head like a dog that doesn't understand what you're saying. When I'm stressed - bring me a quarter pounder! It's like I made the decision years ago I didn't need a blankie - I needed those golden fries. But it's not just comfort food when sad or stressed...it can be a reward when something good has happened. Or just a "I'm super lazy and don't feel like cooking." And hell I've heard that stat that one in 8 American's every day eat McDonald's breakfast so while I seem to hear people down talking it, there have to be many like me right?!
But what I'm saying is my weight is obviously my fault when you mix lack of interest in working out paired with a love affair with Wendy's, McDonald's, etc. Yet I don't consider my weight *too bad*..thus no motivation to change.
And now it's even worse. Last year I was in a weight loss challenge for 12 weeks. I used My Fitness Pal to track calories, I worked out 2-3 times a week on the stairmaster, and I limited fast food to once a week (sad that it's a "limit" when most people would find this average.) And I lost 12lbs in 12 weeks. Great.
Now this year I'm doing a 10 week challenge. And all I'm doing is tracking calories on MFP. No working out (other than the 15,000-20,000 steps I get in 3 days a week at work anyway). No limiting my fast food. And in fact I'd say I've been eating MORE of it these past three weeks because I've been sick so I don't feel like cooking. And the worst part?!? I'm still losing weight simply by staying under 1650 calories. That's with many meals from McDonald's being over half of my day's calories, loaded with fat. And I'm losing half a pound to a pound a week, while stuffing my face with fries - oh so delishious fries. So that TOO is not motivating me to stop! It's a sickness.
Can you imagine how much I'd be able to lose with just the tiniest bit of effort? Ugh. There is no point to this post other than trying to shame myself into doing better by this confession. I know that motivation comes from within - that's why I couldn't understand why my friend was amazed at all I could get done. I can't *NOT* make the bed every morning and do projects to make my friend smile and plan an amazing dinner for my husband and go to make donations to Goodwill and.and.and.and.and. It's in my core being. I'm in awe of you runners...it's in your core being. Good for you. But me? Its just not me.
You are preaching to the choir! Your Micky's = my chocolate. I totally get what you're saying.
ReplyDeleteWe all have our vices, and I think you hit the nail on the head with your last statement: you have to find something that is completely and totally YOU. It's such a shame that the swimming is so expensive in your area! It sounds like that is something that you'd probably commit to if you had the opportunity. Nonetheless, good for you for dropping the weight via calorie restriction. That's hard to do!
ReplyDeleteMy DH and I eat out way too much. We try to choose healthilyish places to eat, but even the healthy choice are likely not that healthy. Like you, I have my excuses, it boils down to me being lazy. I commend you for being aware. It's the first step of making things better. :)
ReplyDelete-Mindy (mm29)