So thanks to my "Liking" resolve on facebook and watching the Daily Show as a source of news (Yes, don't worry I also watch parts of the Today Show and NBC Nightly news) I learned a few weeks ago about the "personhood act" that is getting around in some state's governments. The main point of the bill is to give fertilized embryos rights of a person.
Now, as someone fighting infertility - I root for all my IVF friends when their egg follie gets fertilized and becomes an embryo. And we cheer for them to snuggle in for nine months to give the joy of a little one to the family. Yes, at that point it has the potential to be a person. And if it's lost through miscarriage or fails to implant; it is a loss for the couple. While I have yet to go through it, I can understand (on a limited basis) the sheer sadness that comes with it. Should the medical field be involved? Sure. Should the couple's support system be involved? If the couple wants it! Should anyone else, like say the government be involved? HELL NO!!
First...This clip while watching SNL got me laughing, and pissed off about two weeks ago. Catch it really going good at 1:48...
SNL's "Really??!!" clip if embedded video does not work for you.
I too am such a frequent flyer with transvaginal ultrasounds that I get upgraded to "Lady Business" LOL. Someone added an amendment that then all men wanting a Viagra Rx would need a rectal exam. Seems tit for tat (no pun intended).
But this "personhood" idea could cause issues on many levels. It could make infertility treatments illegal (among other things like causing problems for birth control, Roe v. Wade, etc)! And what could result in all of this? Unwanted children from those unable to get birth control. And for those wanting a baby most of all, but unable to have one without medical intervention; the infertility couples in the world, (of which we make up one in 8 couples!!) It could make it impossible to conceive these babies we pray for!!
I hate how the GOP wants the government out of our lives; except when it comes to marriage, sexual orientation, what goes on in our bedrooms and reproduction. It reminds me of a line from my favorite show of all time The West Wing where Josh Lyman says "I love it when you guys want to shrink the government so small that it only fits in our bedrooms." Sure, he was talking about gay rights, but it fit here too. The best quote I've heard of is off this article from a protest sign...."If I wanted the government in my womb, I'd fuck a senator." :) Simply awesome! I encourage you to read the article and watch the video at the bottom. And learn if this is coming to your state. And if it is, see what you can do to help stop it!!
Article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/29/oklahoma-personhood-fetal-personhood-bill_n_1310992.html
Amen! I'm all for the right of a fetus and I'm not a supporter for abortions (except in rare occasions) but I do not agree that the government should be able to tell us whether we have the right to take BCP, or have abortions (or, off topic, who to love).
ReplyDeleteThe conservatives want to ban abortion but since they know that coming out with a bill to do just that is never going to get passed, they are beating around the bush with all these stupid personhood laws which is only hurting people who for the most part would never want an abortion to begin with. Its not really working and only making women feel like our rights are being taken away. Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!
Women still have the right to vote, I'd urge all women to vote for anyone other than the people who support these laws because otherwise we are going to have some major women's issues in this country. Represent!