Ice bar in Vegas 2012

Ice bar in Vegas 2012

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

What a cluster fuck this has turned into

So first let me explain the massive miscommunication that is the instructions.  Waaay back in 2010 when I first met with my RE I gave a hotmail account as my email.  I never got anything in that account from them other than articles about various infertility related things (often not even applying to me like PCOS).  So when that account got hacked, I changed to a yahoo account but kept the hotmail account simply for spam (you know...people I didn't want to have my real account so it's flooded with emails from online shopping and such).  Fast forward to this past cycle.  I got my instructions for IVF from the coordinator herself as I always had and was never told anything would be emailed to me.  Discussions on payments and what they cover were also all done over the phone - no emails.

So over three years of in person or over phone discussions.  Suddenly post IVF they email my FET protocol to me the day after egg retrieval.  But to my old hotmail account that I only clean out once a month (usually there is over 400 emails and I just quickly scan through the sender to make sure it's no one I know).  Because I never noticed this email or was told to expect it I didn't know I was given specific instructions like "Keep taking progesterone even if your period shows up"  and "Start Lupron on 10/14".  Instead, I start my period on 10/11 and I call their Highland Park office (the one's in change of IVF, not my local office).  They inform me of the missed email, that I'm starting luron Monday, and don't mention to keep taking the progesterone.  Because it was after 4pm CST I have to scramble with my specialty pharmacy in EST zone to make a special trip to UPS to get my meds here by Monday and patiently wait for them to resend this protocol email to my current address.

Monday morning arrives, the meds show up, but still no email - so I don't know how much of the lupron I'm supposed to take.  So I call my local clinic (because they know me and seem to get shit done much better than IVF HP location).  That nurse informs me if I got my period and stopped taking the progesterone that it suddenly changes my protocol and timing AND MEDS!  WHA???  Why didn't HP tell me this?  Thankfully after a baseline, and behind the scenes consultations with RE they decide that I can "swap" the lupron I rush ordered for Ganirelix(using their stash at the office this saves me $840 OOP), and use birth control, and just move my FET date to Nov. 15th.  But emails were going back and forth so that both my local nurse and my RE understand the mix up in communication and why I was so upset.  A) if they are suddenly going to start communicating with email they should TELL YOU to expect that and sometime in the five phone calls and two office visits someone should have TOLD ME either what the hell my time line and protocol was or made sure I GOT the email.  But at least I was heard, understood, apologized to for the fuck ups and we're still on track for for FET Nov. 15th now instead of Oct. 28th (which apparently was what they were shooting for if I had not stopped the progesterone and thus been able to started the lupron). WHEW.

**Sorry this is such a long ass post but I seriously need to get this off my chest.**  Now for the finance fuck up.  As I said, everything was done over the phone or in person.  I had been told the IVF (non meds part) cycle would cost $10,000 - but that since I have some insurance coverage it will be sent to insurance and they would negotiate the rates down to say $7,000...of which I have a $3,500 coverage for IF.  So they pay half and I'd pay the other $3,500.  They said they needed a deposit of $5,000 to cover not only this $3,500 but $1,100 for cost of freezing any embryos and then $400 for room on if they were off on negotiated rates.  If we didn't have anything to freeze or the rates were negotiated as they expected I would get $400 or we also have nothing to freeze we would get that credit back.  Well we didn't end up doing a fresh transfer so there should be some credit in there right?  And they said SPECIFICALLY about the cost of freezing is included.

Now suddenly I have a cryogenics center saying I owe them $1,100 for the freeze.  NO, I was told that was included.  They called and checked and called me back saying "No, sorry you still owe us $1,100".  They are giving me time to deal with my finance department to see if I can get that money from them since that's not what I was told.  And she said she could try to see if I can get a discount (I think because I was crying on the phone about how I was no told that etc.etc.etc.)

So I've tried calling my finance department.  A) no one answers their phone. Ever.  It always goes to voicemail.  I knew this from back in August trying to get answers on the initial cost.  BUT OK, I leave you a voicemail - call me back the same day would you?  NOPE.

Then today I get an email about how "I see you're about to start a FET cycle.  Our records indicate you are self pay.  You will owe $3,050 for the cycle."  and it lays out what all that covers.  Um...I don't have anything in writing like this for the fresh cycle so no way to prove what they told me about the freezing.  And while my coverage for IF stuff is done, I can still have it run through insurance to get the negotiated rates.  And since I didn't do a fresh transfer I should have some credit in that area.  AND if you're not paying for the freeze I am I should have even more coming to me.  AND CALL ME BACK YOU FUCKTARDS.

You know how they say you should try to stay as stress free during this crap as possible?  YOU ARE NOT HELPING.  Somehow we  have to come up with $4,150 soon or work this shit out fast.  Just shoot me.  I can't take much more of this.

4 comments:

  1. Oh no! First of all, you are only freezing for ONE MONTH! That rate they are giving you is for the first year. That is for sure. They need to give you a prorated fee for the time that the embryo will be in the freeze. There is no way they should be charging you for a full year. I would question their year fee and ask what the prorate is. Clusterfuck is right. I'm sorry this has been a shitty mess. I know how annoying it is making phone call after phone call. I'm sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg, Kati, I'm so sorry for all this stress. BBColt is right you shouldn't have to pay the year's rate to freeze if you are only freezing for the month. Also, $1100 sounds really steep for cyro. Especially for 1 embie. My office does it for about $400 for a year (I think that's forbid to 5 or 6 embies and then of course it costs a little more for more embies. But over a thousand for 1 embie for 1 month is insane!

    And you should have gotten paperwork on all the charges for the fresh cycle. And they should call you back! Sounds like their office is way screwed up. That is ridiculous! You do not need the stress and they should have made everything clearly you before you began. There is always a credit if they can't finish the cycle. They owe you a huge apology and a credit and then a serious sit down to go over everything with you. You are paying them for a service, you deserve to know what you are getting for the money and how charges are broken down. I'd be livid!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg, Kati, I'm so sorry for all this stress. BBColt is right you shouldn't have to pay the year's rate to freeze if you are only freezing for the month. Also, $1100 sounds really steep for cyro. Especially for 1 embie. My office does it for about $400 for a year (I think that's forbid to 5 or 6 embies and then of course it costs a little more for more embies. But over a thousand for 1 embie for 1 month is insane!

    And you should have gotten paperwork on all the charges for the fresh cycle. And they should call you back! Sounds like their office is way screwed up. That is ridiculous! You do not need the stress and they should have made everything clearly you before you began. There is always a credit if they can't finish the cycle. They owe you a huge apology and a credit and then a serious sit down to go over everything with you. You are paying them for a service, you deserve to know what you are getting for the money and how charges are broken down. I'd be livid!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Zookers. If you have the availability pop in face to face or make an appointment. Sometimes the only way to get resolution (I find) is to get in there in person. Huge hugs and some good luck coming your way.

    ReplyDelete