Ice bar in Vegas 2012

Ice bar in Vegas 2012

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Turn Back Time Tuesdays: West Virginia

From Oct. 2002 to Oct 2005 I worked for the NBC station in Charleston & Huntington WV.  I was 24 when I moved there and about to turn 27 when I left.  I think this is one of the best age period of a single woman's life.  I was no longer as self conscious about my looks as I was in my teens, more confident about my abilities then I had been in my early twenties.  I was successful in my job, and happy with my friends.  In other words, I was happy where I was in life.  At that point my whole life seemed still ahead of me.  I was fairly confident then that I'd someday soon fall in love, get married, and have children.  Looking back...I realize I have a lot of what I was wishing for back then.  I do have an adoring husband that loves me.  I live back in my home town (which I missed so much when living in WV).  I know the back roads here.  I know the local foods.  I know what to expect out of the seasons.  What I miss about West Virginia?  The unknown-ness about it all.
Overlooking the river in Charleston for the Wine & Jazz fest 2003

I loved exploring those foothills of the Appalachians.  I loved hearing about local foods and traditions (bungee jumping off a bridge for the end of whitewater rafting season?!).  I loved whitewater rafting!  I loved not knowing what might happen ahead of me.  I will admit, that while I love our life...it's no longer unexpected.  Many weeks are the same.  Many summers are the same.  I no longer feel like my life is in front of me (I don't think that I'm over the hill by any means but still...heading into middle aged quicker than I'd like).
I took this with a waterproof camera before heading into more rapids.  New River Gorge-level 5 rapids- WV

I had a dream last night that made me realize I miss that "new-ness" feeling.  I moved five times (and in four states) from May 2001-Feb. 2008.  I've now lived here in our townhouse longer than anywhere I've lived since moving out of my parents house for college when I was 18. I'm not complaining, but it is just sad to miss out on that feeling.   I guess I should try to seek out some "new" things in life to keep it interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment