I don't know about you, but I don't know that I can just say I have one favorite book.
My favorite book from when I was a child is Mrs. Rumphius aka in my house as The Lupine Lady by Barbara Cooney. It's a fairly unknown book from 1982 (when I wasabout 3). But it's got beautiful watercolor art work done in it. The story is mainly about a woman who makes the world a prettier place by sprinkling flower seeds for Lupines throughout the country side (based on a true story). When I was 7 my mom and I planted many of this flower around our back yard to my our home pretty. I love that my mother acknowledged my favorite book and helped it come to life for me. I've always said when I have a home, I will plant some lupines somewhere as a nod to the love of that book.
When I was younger I always said my favorite book was Lightning By Dean Koontz. It's the only adult book I've read more than twice. I first read it when I was about 14, and thought it was amazing.
But then when I was a sophomore in college, I read Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (and the six books in the series that follow). And last year for the first six months of 2011, I re-read all seven books again. Simply AMAZING. Reading the series spread out over 12 years I kind of forgot certain things but still loved it. But reading them in series in such a short time showed me just how wonderful the story and writing is. I cannot wait to see the story continue. Despite how much I loved my husband introducing me to the seven book series epic that is Steven King's Dark Tower series...Outlander will forever be my favorite series ever. Side note, for 10 years now I've wanted to name a baby girl Brianna after one of the characters. DH insists on Stephanie, after his grandmother and I can't deny him that so we'd need two girls in order for me to get my Brianna. :(
And finally my current favorite book - - Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. I read it about four or five years ago after years of so many people telling me how great it is. And they were right. The follow up was too similar (so it was good but felt like cheating). And my parents bought me the mini series that was on TV, HBO I think? But I can't bring myself to watch it yet...because I know it will be horrible compared to the work of art that is the book.
No comments:
Post a Comment